January 19, 2023 — A woman who suffered 2nd-degree and 3rd-degree burn injuries has filed a lawsuit claiming her Tristar Power Quick Pot is defective.
The lawsuit was filed by Dawn C., a resident of Bellevue, Nebraska, who said she was severely burned by a Tristar® Power Quick Pot Multi-Cooker.
The appliance has 37 settings, including a pressure cooker, slow cooker, steamer, hot pot, sauté, yogurt maker, and many more.
She said she purchased the Tristar Power Quick Pot in April or May 2020, and used it frequently for the next 3 months without incident.
That all ended in July 2020, when it allegedly malfunctioned when she was using the pressure cooker feature on her Power Quick Pot to make a roast for her family.
When it beeped that it was done, she opened the pressure-release valve and waited until the steam was released. She said she was able to easily twist open the lid.
That was when “the pressure cooker exploded, spewing hot steam and liquid onto her face, chest and arms,” according to her lawsuit. She was hospitalized with 2nd-degree and 3rd-degree burns, including partial-thickness and full-thickness burns.
The manufacturers, Tristar Products and Spectrum Brands Holdings, are accused of selling pressure cookers that are defective because the lid can be opened when the pot is still pressurized, despite claims of “safety features” that are supposed to lock the lid until it is safe.
Her lawsuit was filed on October 18, 2022 in the U.S. District Court for the District of Nebraska — Case Number 4:22-cv-03230-CRZ.