October 16, 2023 — Sunbeam Products Inc. has been sued by a woman who was burned by a recalled pressure cooker.
The plaintiff, Salena R., is a woman from Colorado who claims that she suffered “serious burn injuries” while using a defective pressure cooker that she bought at Walmart.
In November 2022, she claims that she was burned by a defective Sunbeam® Crock-Pot 6-Quart Express Crock Multi-Cooker (Model Number SCCPPC600-V).
According to her lawsuit, the pressure cooker “malfunctioned, causing its scalding hot contents to erupt from the product.”
She claims that her pressure cooker was recalled in November 2020 because the lid can detach and eject boiling-hot food, liquid, or steam onto people nearby.
Her lawsuit specifically blames Sunbeam Products for selling pressure cookers with defective lids:
“The lid of the Pressure Cooker opening while the product is under pressure, with the contents heated in excess of 100°C [212°F], and steam inside the unit. When the lid opens or is removed under such circumstances, the pressure within the unit causes the scalding hot contents to erupt from the unit and into the surrounding area, including onto any persons nearby.”
Her lawsuit is seeking damages for pain and suffering, medical expenses, loss of enjoyment of life, physical and mental anguish, and more.
The Crock-Pot Pressure Cooker Lawsuit was filed on September 8, 2023 in the U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado — Case No. 1:23-cv-02298-REB.