November 17, 2020 — A young mother from Sydney, Australia was severely burned when the lid exploded off her pressure cooker, narrowly missing two children.
Giovanna, 36, said she was using a Crofton Chef’s Collection 6L Pressure Cooker to cook chicken soup for dinner on Sunday night — but “after 10 or 15 minutes on the heat, it just blew up by itself,” she told Yahoo News Australia.
The metal lid flew directly toward Giovanna and her 2 year-old son.
The child was not injured because the lid stuck her arm. Her body also blocked most of the boiling-hot water and steam.
She said, “My son and his friend were running past the kitchen just a second before it happened. The lid would have gone directly into my son’s head.”
Giovanna suffered burn injuries on her scalp, neck, behind her ear, shoulder, back, and arm. Both she and her son were “traumatized” and have needed professional help.
She reported using her Crofton Pressure Cooker every week for the past 3 years. Unfortunately, she was not aware that it had been recalled in August 2017 due to a defective lid locking mechanism.
Source: Young mother is left with horrific burns after a faulty Aldi pressure cooker ‘BLEW UP’ in her face – and narrowly missed her two-year-old son’