September 10, 2021 — A woman from Denver suffered horrific 3rd-degree burns on her face and body when her Crock-Pot Pressure Cooker exploded.
The woman, Georgina B., said she was using her Crock-Pot Express Multi-Cooker in June 2019 to make beans when the lid suddenly exploded off the pot and flew across her kitchen.
She was sprayed with extremely hot liquid, resulting in devastating 2nd-degree and 3rd-degree burns all over her face, arms and chest.
She was immediately hospitalized for treatment, including painful skin debridement and skin graft surgery. Over the past year, doctors have transplanted around 5-square-feet of cadaver skin grafts to treat her serious burns, according to her lawsuit.
Sunbeam Products, the manufacturer of her Crock-Pot Pressure Cooker, did not recall the kitchen appliance for more than another year.
By the time a recall was finally issued in November 2020, Sunbeam Products reported 119 incidents of the lid detaching, which resulted in 99 burn injuries ranging in severity from 1st-degree to 3rd-degree burns.
Source: Denver woman severely burned by pressure cooker device that was later recalled due to injuries