August 9, 2023 — A lawsuit has been filed by two parents who were burned in front of their children when a Tristar Power Quick Pot exploded.
The lawsuit was filed by Andrew and Kaylle J., a couple from Georgia who accuse Tristar Products of selling a defective pressure cooker.
According to the lawsuit, Kaylle was cooking spicy pork to make tacos for dinner on July 3, 2023. When the pork was done cooking, she released the steam using the pressure release valve.
When it appeared that the pressure cooker was done releasing steam, Andrew began to open the lid of the Power Quick Pot Pressure Cooker.
Unfortunately, “the top of the pressure cooker forcefully exploded off,” spewing scalding-hot liquid, steam, and pork all over both parents.
They immediately ripped off their clothes and went to the shower, but when they realized that their burns were too severe, they drove to the hospital and received treatment for 2nd-degree and 3rd-degree burns.
The exploding liquid narrowly avoided hitting their three children (ages 9, 8, and 5), who were sitting at the kitchen table waiting for dinner.
Even so, the children allegedly suffered “deep trauma and ongoing emotional distress” after seeing their parents suffer burn injuries, according to the lawsuit.
Tristar Products is accused of selling a defective and unreasonably dangerous product, and misleading consumers about the safety features of the Power Quick Pot Pressure Cooker.
The lawsuit was filed against Tristar Products Inc. on July 31, 2023 in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia (Newnan Division) — Case Number 3:23-cv-00149.